Thursday, May 20, 2010

Tea of Plenty





For as long as I have been in Australia, one of my favourite past times (after pilatés, hiking, and going to the beach) has been “the search for the ultimate scone.” Perhaps it is my British heritage speaking, but I just can’t get enough of scones... sweet or savoury... with double-cream and plenty of jam. In Australia, they call the High Tea or Cream Tea the Devonshire Tea. Regardless of what it’s called, it’s all good to me. Now, my other-half would have to disagree and protest about searching for scones (he would rather be surfing), but I can assure you, he has savoured almost as many as I have... despite the verbal protests.

Scones to write home about were sampled in the Jazz Café in the Dandenongs (a reward after a treacherous 2 hour hike... scenery above), The Mornington Café (following extra grumbles by the other-half), the lounge at Cradle Mountain Lodge (while draped in an armchair by the fire), the Lighthouse Café at Airey’s Inlet (sitting next to magnificent views of the ocean... see above), and last but not least, the Westin Hotel in Melbourne (see above for evidence of a mammoth pot of cream!) It’s official, Australia has turned me into a “sconer.” I will just have to find ways to feed my habit when I get home.

No comments:

Post a Comment