Does size matter? In this case, it does... especially when the only thing that separates you from a dozen 8-foot sharks is a piece of 3-inch glass. I just had to include in my blog our incredible experience at the Sydney Aquarium. If you have been reading my earlier posts, you would understand my fascination with sharks. This time, however, I was able to film these so called “harmless” creatures without nervously dropping my camera on the ocean floor! Yes, it is true that the sharks in the photos are actually “harmless” and are not known to attack humans (although, this may take some extra convincing if I was actually brave enough to even put my toe in the tank.) The spotted female leopard shark really intrigued me, seeing as this was the species I snorkelled over when we were in the waters of Ningaloo Reef.
It was the second set of underwater tunnels that we found to be more intimidating than the first. Perhaps our perception has been tainted by the “infamous” shark movie... which has unfortunately given them a bad rap. However, looking at the rows of teeth grinning at me by the lemon sharks (“harmless”), I did shudder with fear and ultimate misunderstanding. The next time I am in the waters of Australia, I will have to calmly think if the word “harmless”, before I nervously jump to conclusions. I will keep you posted!
No comments:
Post a Comment